Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Way Back Whensday

Last week Raechel started "Way Back Whensday."

I'm going to share our engagement story. I'm going to simply copy it from our wedding website and paste it because I want to take the kids outside before it rains.

We got engaged on October 30, 2004 in Chicago after dating for about 5 1/2 months.

We went up to Chicago because I had mentioned that I wanted to. We went to Shedd Aquarium and walked through the Oceanarium, watched the dolphin show, and saw several different exhibits. Afterwards we began the long walk to Bennigan’s on Michigan Avenue where I suddenly began to feel sick (great timing, I know). Nick had mentioned a few times throughout the evening going to Buckingham Fountain. Since I wasn’t feeling good, I said I just wanted to get on the train and go home. He asked what time it was. I checked my phone and it said 7:22. We had just missed the train. He asked if I thought I could make it to Buckingham Fountain, and I really didn’t think I could make it another four blocks. So we crossed the street and sat in the park. I laid my head on his shoulder and he told me he loved me and promised to take care of me forever (still had no clue at this point). He stood up and then started to kneel (and I began to cry). Kneeling, he said, “If you’ll have me, I will spend the rest of my life trying to make you feel like a queen.” Then I can’t remember if he asked me to marry him or asked me to be his wife, but I hugged him, and through tears, told him I loved him, to which he responded, “so will you?” Of course I said yes. We danced in the park for a little while before going to catch the next train. We finally got home after an hour train ride and a 30 minute car ride. We went to visit Nick's mom because she asked us to. When we got to her house, not a single light was on. She had candles lit in the kitchen and living room. In the living room she had set up a little table with sparkling grape juice and oreos. She came down the stairs, gave me a hug and said welcome to the family. Almost immediately I felt like I was going to be sick. I backed away, said I was going to be sick and ran for the bathroom. Not your typical engagement story (seriously, how many people almost puke on their future mother-in-law), but it makes for a funny story! Something to tell the grandkids! haha! But it was a night to remember forever.










1 comment:

Christine said...

Hehe, we hung out in the Van Buren station for awhile last night!

I'm so glad you're doing WBW. It's fun.