Thursday, March 12, 2009

Way Back Whensday

Raechel, who's blog I found through Christine, started Way Back Whensday for blogs. A way to remember the past and move forward into the future. I think it's a fabulous idea...though I'm a day late.

My Way Back Whensday is about my sweet Kylee Nichol. Kylee arrived on September 20, 2006, at 35 weeks, 6 days gestation. We found out at 32 weeks that my fluid levels were very low and my placenta was aging too fast. She was almost born on September 13 (my sister's birthday), but my levels came up enough to keep her in there another week. I had my levels checked for the final time on Tuesday, September 19, and was immediately sent for an induction. This was the LONGEST single experience I can think of. From the start of my induction to the end, it was 34 1/2 hours. They started my pitocin at double the amount they usually do. By 11 pm (started at 11:30 am) it was at the highest possible dosage and nothing was happening. They stopped that, gave me cervadil, and let me eat something-FINALLY! The next morning I had finally progressed enough to get an epidural. The light contractions were very uncomfortable. I didn't get to eat anything but popsicles all day, which all kept coming back up. They had to break my water for me. I finally got to start pushing at 9 pm. It is hard work pushing when you've had little sleep and no food! After what seemed like forever, Kylee was finally born at 10:02 pm on September 20. She was much bigger than we all thought at 6lbs 11oz. They said she probably would have been 8 1/2 to 9 lbs had she gone to 40 weeks. She was very healthy, was only under oxygen (precautionary only) for an hour. I was up and moving the next day, walking the halls when Kylee was in the nursery for her antibiotic. She went home with us less than 48 hours after delivery, very healthy, and with no limitations like staying in with her.

Kylee and me, the day we went home



Kylee hooked up to her monitors.



Immediately after birth.







3 comments:

Christine said...

Oh my goodness, 34 HOURS?? You are amazing. I think I would have given in and asked for a c-section at that points. What a fun story! Love the pictures.

Rachel C said...

I wasn't in hard labor that whole time, but it wasn't fun being hooked up to machines stuck in bed about 33 of the 34 1/2 hours! I was doing anything I could to NOT have a c-section!

Rachel C said...

And thankfully, Elijah was born less than 5 hours after getting to the hospital, with only 24 minutes of pushing!