Friday, April 3, 2009

Little House on the Prairie

I started reading the first book in the Little House on the Prairie series to Kylee this morning. I have several goals in mind. One is that she will develop a love for reading. I loved reading. I still do, but I find it takes me a lot longer to get through a book unless I skip all other things like dishes and meals and giving baths. Another goal is that she will develop a love for the characters. Laura Ingalls Wilder was a great author and I loved reading all of her books. Third, I'm hoping it will build imagination. I can remember my sister and I playing when we were little and pretending to be the characters. It was so much fun. Kylee actually sat and listened intently for the first several pages. When she seemed to get bored, I stopped and let her move on to something else. Next on my list (though a few years away) is the Anne of Green Gables series! LOVE IT!


I need ideas for good boy books too. I know those two series could be used, but what little boy wants to read about girls? I didn't have brothers. What works for little boys?
Here are my two precious little ones. They look so sweet don't they?
Elijah refused to sleep in his bed at naptime the other day. He would only sleep on the couch. The minute I laid him on his bed, he'd scream and carry on.
Very deceiving hair. It looks so thick and full. Really, it's quite thin, but sleeping in a room with a humidifier works wonders!

1 comment:

Christine said...

So cute! Love the hair. Love it.

Stephen and I both were read the Narnia books, so I know those work for boys. And The Phantom Tollbooth--excellent adventure-type stuff. And I would recommend Charlotte's Web (or any other E.B. White) for any kid. Good for you starting so early! I'm impressed that she sat still for even a little bit of time for LHOTP.