Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Storms!

I'm a big fan of thunderstorms. I am not, however, a big fan of wind, hail or tornado watches or warnings. I like the thunder, the lightning and the rain. Not the wind. Please, Lord, keep the tornadoes away from us! We have a tornado watch till 11 pm. I especially don't like them when Nick is out delivering in it. So far, it hasn't even stormed while he's been working tonight, but it's gotten windy. Hopefully, if it's going to get bad, it will wait till he is home with us! I'm praying hard the tornadoes stay away. I'm not sure how I'll get both kids and the dog in the bathroom (our only interior room) if the sirens go off. Last to trap in the bathroom is the dog. My kids are my top priority, and I think that's the right order! Thankfully, weather.com gives the projected path, so I can see if it's far south or north. Our sirens go off even if it's at the other end of the county though.

I am trying to get things cleaned up. I have this crazy notion that we'll be safe if everything is picked up. My brain knows a tornado can pull my dishes out of the cupboard, but my mind doesn't believe it. I'm a crazy woman. So, while I'm putting dishes away and vacuuming the floor (I'm tired of stepping on Cheerios) Dora is entertaining my children. Incidentally, this episode is "The Big Storm." How fitting.

What do you tell toddlers that are scared of thunder? The first time Kylee asked, I said it was God bowling. I got a blank stare since she's never been bowling and has no clue what it is. So I changed my answer to God is bouncing soccer balls. She knows what soccer balls are and she knows what bouncing is. That seemed to suffice for the time being and she hasn't acted scared since. Elijah asks "What noise?" Translation=what's that noise? I just tell him thunder and that works for him. Ah my sweet babies. I think I need to finish my vacuuming and put the dishes away so I can cuddle them on the couch with books. I like to keep them close during storms and who doesn't need a good book every now and then?

It's hard to believe I went through a brief phase in middle school where I wanted to be a meteorologist. While it still intrigues me, I don't think I want to do that now.

1 comment:

Christine said...

I hope you got your cuddle time. And who knows--perhaps you'll get more tonight in the bathtub! (Kidding, kidding. I certainly hope we don't have any sirens go off. If we do, we're all stuck in our dank, leaky basement.)