Friday, June 19, 2009

Unassisted Births

There was a show on Discovery Health last night about unassisted childbirths. OH MY WORD! Can I just say, in my own personal opinion, that is the most stupid, reckless thing a person can do? What if something goes wrong? You have no one with any medical knowledge at all. There was a 22 year old who didn't have a single bit of prenatal care. She thought she had a low lying placenta, which can be dangerous! She didn't seek medical attention one single time!

In all seriousness, I am all for homebirths if that's what someone wants. But have a midwife present, please. Be smart about it. Take your life and your baby's into consideration. Homebirths are a great thing for those who want it and have low risk pregnancies, but please have a midwife or doula present should anything go wrong. Find someone who will not interfere unless medically necessary.

I personally am all for hospital birth for me. I want to be right there where I have access to doctors and nurses and any medical things we could potentially need. I also want the drugs. Stab me in the back, I want the epidural!

Please, please, please, just be smart about delivering babies.

1 comment:

Elisabeth said...

I saw the same program. Very risky, selfish and just plain wrong.

While I think its ok to have a homebirth just be safe and love your child and have prenatal care.

The older woman you saw the 22 year old go to? she's had 4 unassisted homebirths with no prenatal care or check ups for her babies either. In fact the last one died a few days after birth because he had a heart defect which he could have survived if she had properly cared for him like a loving and caring mom should. He was her last pregnancy.

It made me so mad how the girl would only monitor her blood pressure. She did check her placenta but if she really was concerned about the welfare of her children she would have had her baby in a more healthy setting.

what bothered me most was she was so fearful of a "stranger" coming into her home that was her excuse for not having a midwife present. She was angry because her first birth was a hospital birth and they threatened to c section her if she didn't push harder.