Friday, February 8, 2013

Fear

God is dealing with me in a big way right now. Every single devotional reading I've done in the past few days revolves around fear. Isn't it amazing how God can put just the right things in the right places at the right time? I have so many fears. My biggest fear lately has been that we will always be stuck in the place we are at right now financially. I fear Nick will not be able to get in somewhere else. I fear that we won't be able to pay off our debt, therefore won't be able to buy our own home. I fear for his health because he is working so much to support us. Fear that something bad is going to happen with our van because we can't afford to fix it right now. There's an oil leak that causes it to smoke a little, and who knows what else. I fear we won't be able to at least help put our kids through college. We made so many bad choices financially in our college years and early/mid twenties, and I fear we will be paying for these mistakes for life.

But God is working on my heart and my fears. God is working on pushing those fears out and filling my heart with his truths. Fear is not from God. It's Satan's way to distract and destroy. Fear has a hold on me. I am praying, and I am searching for any scripture on fear and on trusting in the Lord. I'm sort of a control freak (I can almost hear my husband laughing that I said sort of ). It's hard to let go of this, and put it under the feet of Jesus. But I know that the more I let go of the fear and the more I allow God to fill me, I will feel so much lighter, like a huge burden has been lifted. God is bigger than my fears.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

God is definitely bigger than your fears. And relinquishing control (we just talked at my ladies Bible study yesterday about how the majority of women have a tendency to want to control) is a challenge. I like that you are working on this! It encourages me to work on the same - because I do let fears have too much control in my life, too!
I'll be praying for you, Rachel!