We didn't leave till Kylee's class started walking in toward the school. I held myself together. After that, we went to preschool screening for Elijah. He didn't get in. He scored in the range of a five and a half to six year old, so he's not considered "at risk." Even our income wasn't low enough. Good to know that, while it's low, we aren't at poverty level. We would be a hair over with just one job, but both jobs really helps. Anyway, I knew he was smart, but I didn't expect him to be scoring that much higher.
After that, I dropped Nick off at home so he could put in a few hours of work, then took the other kids to find Kylee a Happy First Day of School present. I dropped Nick off, headed to Target and promptly lost it. I did so great holding it in all morning, but once I looked in the rearview mirror and saw that empty Nautilus, reality hit. My baby was in the care of someone else, all day, every day. This is such a strange thing for me! It is so weird. I also think it was the first time in eight months that I wasn't stopped in the store by someone telling me I have my hands full. I guess people see a big difference between three kids and four? It was just so weird not having her with us. But at the end of the day, we picked her up and she loved it!!! She couldn't wait to go back the next day. When we asked what she learned in school, she said she couldn't remember. Typical of kindergarteners (or so I hear). I was disappointed that I wasn't getting a play by play of her day, but that's ok. Each day she has had a little more to share. She sure is an independent girl! Day one, we walked her to the line. Day two we walked her into the school, but she wanted to walk to her class by herself. Day three, she wanted to be dropped off in the drop off line. Day four, she wanted Elijah to see where her class (very possibly his class next year) was, so we went in. Today...she asked me to stay in the car andlet her walk by herself. My tiny little 4 week premature, 6lb 11oz 19inch baby is so independent now. I couldn't be more proud of her. It also helped that I didn't have to unbuckle anyone else.
First day of kindergarten!!!
Walking in by herself this morning.











No comments:
Post a Comment