Friday, February 6, 2009

What is your "Isaac?"

I'm trying to read the Bible through in a year. I found a site that gives you what to read in chronological order rather than reading straight through, which I like. Anyway, I'm a little behind (ok, a lot), but last night I was reading in Genesis about Abraham and Isaac. It's not a new story to me. It's one that I've grown up with my entire life. Every single time I'm touched by Abraham's incredible faith to put his son, the one he waited so long for, on that altar. I started thinking about it.

What is God asking me to put on that altar?

I thought about all day, you know, in between potty breaks, messes, wiping noses, etc. I know what it is. It hit me like a ton of bricks. I am not going to say it because it's between me and God. And it is something so very near to my heart. I already have a very difficult time just putting things into God's hands. To take something so incredibly important to me and let it out of my control and into someone else's is a extremely hard for me. I feel like this is a huge test of my faith, and I don't want another test. I feel like we've been in constant testing the past 3 years. But this time it feels more like a time for my faith to grow as an individual rather than as a couple. In the end it will help us grow as a couple and as a family as well, but initially this is mine.

After spending the better part of the afternoon and evening arguing with God, I finally just gave it over to him. Am I scared that he could take it this particular thing away? Yes, I will admit that. But I'm giving him my "Isaac" and fervently seeking God to try to learn his will.

So my question to you is what is your "Isaac" and have you given it to God?

No comments: