It’s hard to believe I haven’t blogged since the end of
July. It’s not because I didn’t want to,
but there is something going on with my laptop, and for whatever reason,
whenever I try to create a new blog, there is no place to post it, only the
title. I’m actually writing this in a
Word document, emailing it to myself and then copying and pasting it using the
desktop in the cold basement.
So much has changed since the last time I was able to
blog.
In August, three of our four kids went to school. Kylee is in 1st grade, Elijah in
kindergarten, and Adleigh is in her first year of head start. They are all thriving, and they have some
pretty wonderful teachers. I couldn’t be
any happier with where they are at.
We celebrated our 8th anniversary and Kylee’s 7th
birthday in September. September 30th
ended Nick’s nearly seven months of unemployment when he was hired (again) at
Cigna. We took a pay cut, but it got us
off unemployment. I don’t know if anyone
has total job security anymore, but there is more security in a job that pays
less than in unemployment. I also ran my
first 10K in September in Chicago. It
was my running goal for the year, and the furthest distance I have run. I loved every bit of it, felt so
accomplished, and finally meeting that goal just felt good. On my goal list for 2014-the Women Rock
Chicago half marathon! I can’t wait!
Elijah turned six in October and had his special pancake
party at grandma’s house. I also won a
contest with a local, talented photographer, so we got our family pictures done
at Perry Farm. If I could do all this on
my laptop, I’d post a bunch, but I can’t till we get this issue fixed. At the beginning of November, Nick and I ran
the Chicago Hot Chocolate 5K. We both
finished with faster times than we anticipated (although I don’t remember
exactly what they were). He actually did
better than I did and he had no training.
What in the world? I spent months
running, and he didn’t and went out there and did three or four minutes faster. I was really proud of him for doing it though
because I don’t think he likes running the way I do, and he only did it because
I wanted him to. Maybe I should convince
him to do the 15K next year? HA!
December, as usual, has been a busy month. We had the 3 year olds/preschool/kindergarten
program at church. Elijah and Adleigh
were both in that, and so cute! And they
both remembered their lines! I was pretty
impressed. The next week we had our
adult program at church, which went well.
It was different from anything we have done before, and the message was
beautiful. Adleigh turned four and then
eight days later Micah turned two. How
is my baby two already? On one hand, I’m
a little sad of all the things we are done with, but on the other it’s nice to
get rid of a lot of stuff, and to know that diapers aren’t going to be a part
of our family for that much longer (hopefully no more than 6 months!).
Christmas has come and gone now. I think the favorite gift of all was the $6
hula hoop. Santa probably could have just
brought four hula hoops and been done with it.
Well, maybe not since Micah and Adleigh are a little small for it, but
still. I stressed so much about
Christmas this year because of the pay cut, but in the end, our kids were so
happy with what they got. They didn’t
get the latest, greatest gadgets. No
Nintendo DS, no tablets, no latest game system, but they were happy and content
and grateful.
Kylee has been saving money for months, including all
birthday money she got for a Kindle Fire HD.
We agreed to pay half as her birthday present when she saved up her
half, and guess what-thanks to a gift card we got we finally (after all their
birthdays and Christmas) had our share together, and we surprised her with
it. She worked so hard for it, and didn’t
want anything else for her birthday. The
look on her face when she got it was priceless and etched in my memory.
2013 comes to an end in 36 hours. It’s hasn’t been my favorite year by
far. It’s actually been one of the most
difficult. We have learned a lot this
year, but I’m looking forward to putting 2013 behind us and moving forward into
2014. I’m praying for a break from some
of the hard lessons we’ve had to learn this year. I’m praying for a great year. I am looking forward to my first niece being
born in the spring. I’m excited to
accomplish new goals. I can’t wait to
experience the joys of our kids when we get to go on little adventures. I’m already looking forward to my best friend
bringing her oldest daughter to visit and us taking Kylee and Arianna to the
American Girl doll store in Chicago. I
look forward to at least one trip to Michigan this year, and hopefully
two. I’m excited to be a part of our
church family and seeing what God does in the life of Kankakee 1st
Church in the coming year. This church
is not the same as it was a few years ago.
It is remarkably different, and it’s amazing.


No comments:
Post a Comment