Usually I do not like money. Maybe it's because I've never really known how to manage it. You'd think after going through FPU (Financial Peace University) together 4 years ago, and Nick coordinating it two more times since, we'd be much better. But we're not. We are making a much bigger effort now. It's amazing how much more money you have when you actually know where it's going. We didn't follow our budget at all in January. In February, we basically screwed around with the first half of the month. The second half of the month is looking GOOD!
We are going out for dinner on Sunday for Valentine's day. Guess where we're going? Subway for $5 footlongs! Haha! Not super romantic, but you know, that is what is in our budget right now. We already went out for dinner twice this month to "nicer" restaurants. Honestly, I'm totally happy with Subway. Healthy and I still won't have two toddlers with me to say "Sit down" "don't touch that" "get off the floor" "Please don't touch that!" "If you don't stop, we're taking a trip to the bathroom!" No big gifts.
We've already started an account for birthday and christmas presents. We sort of have to when we have three kids with birthdays in September, October and December, Christmas and my birthday is right after Christmas. I wish we would have done this before. It would have made life so much easier during those four months!
We're just starting to do this stuff and I'm already feeling more at peace about money. We bought our kids Financial Peace University Junior in hopes of teaching them to manage hteir money at a young age.
This post is sort of all over. I'm very very sleep-deprived, but very excited to see how our future goes when we actually put the effort into managing our money.
Pickleball. Am I Too Old For This?
6 months ago


3 comments:
My hubby and I were awful at spending money because we had no idea where I money was going. We've been following a budget and it's amazing how much money we have been able to save by knowing where the money goes. Yay for budgets!
Budgets all the way! I know what you mean about knowing where your money goes. We budget to the cent every month, and I love being in control of the flow of cash--not because I love the spending, but because I am in control. Keep up the good work! Budgeting in advance for birthdays and Christmas is INVALUABLE. And keep in mind that garage sales are excellent venues for kids' gifts. We didn't buy ours anything new for Christmas--I think we spent a grand total of $11 on all 3 of them.
Maybe I'll attempt that next year Christine. I've got lots of changes on the list for 2010, and I"m a big "birthday's and Christmas is time for new since we dont' do it very often" type person, so I need a little longer to prep myself for that one! I think it's a fantastic idea, I just need to mentally get there.
Post a Comment