Monday, September 8, 2008

Looking back

Lindsay recently posted a blog on some incredible time she got to spend just being in the presence of God. It took me back five years to a time I had like that. Not that there haven't been other good times being with God, but this particular time always sticks out to me. I was in the end of my fifth and final year at Olivet. It was spring and it was getting close to graduation. I had to put myself through Olivet, and Olivet is not a cheap school to attend. Thankfully I had a few scholarships, grants, and a LOT of loans.

This particular year, though, I was still short at the end of the year. I knew that they would not give me my cap and gown till my bill was completely paid. If it wasn't paid, I wouldn't be walking at graduation, and I wouldn't receive the degree I worked five years to earn till it was paid. I believe I was around $1400 short, and I made a nice $6.50 an hour in the music department. I don't think I made $1400 the whole year, much less in just a few weeks!
On particular day, I was feeling down about it. My grandparents were coming to graduation so I had to walk! I got in my junky 92 Buick LeSabre and headed for the Kankakee State Park. I took my Bible, journal, pen and highlighter with me. I spent some time talking to God. Not like we do when we're praying in church, but it felt like a conversation with God. I really felt like I was sitting right in the presence of God.

It was a cloudy day, that I will never forget. My time there was ending because they are only open for dinner for so long. As I sat there, I watched the sky. There were grey clouds covering, but then I saw a little opening and some blue sky and a little sun peaked through. I know it may seem crazy to some, but I really felt like it was a sign from God that everything would be ok. Not necessarily that I'd suddenly have the money needed, but that God was in control and I could just let go of it and have peace about it no matter what happened.
God did provide through some very generous people, some of which I know, but one person covered the last half of it and I didn't even know him or his wife. I just got called in to student accounts one day and they said an alumni couple wanted to cover the last of my bill and a few other students who also needed it to graduate.

It reminds me of a song by Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir:
God is Still Doing Great Things.

Are you standing in need of a miracle today?
Even doctors don't know what to do.
God is able to make a way from no way.
He's still able to carry you through.
If we would just learn to trust and obey
we'd find that our Savior turns darkness into day.
He alone can handle the challenges life brings.
God is still doing great things.

God is still doing great things.
His power has never changed.
Yes, God is able to transform your life.
God is still doing great things.

If we let God's power work deep within
He's able to do more than we comprehend.
He alone can handle the challenges life brings
God still doing great things.

God is still doing great things.
His power has never changed.
Yes, God is able to transform your life.
God is still doing great things.

Great things, I know he'll do it
If you have a need I know He's able.
If you need healing for your soul,
If you need to be made whole.
My God is able, he's still able.
Yes, God is able to transform your life.
God is still doing great things.
Yes, God is able to transform your life.
God is still doing great things.

No comments: